Re: Loop-AES on LVM2 logical volumes, problems with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

On Mon, 18 May 2009 20:26:45 +0300
Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> New limit allows better
> performance, but it can also lead to "Cannot allocate memory" errors
> at losetup time if too big "lo_prealloc" values are used.
I was testing lo_prealloc values using LOOPMODPARAMS="" in
build-initrd.conf when I remembered that I had set CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
after "make LINUX_SOURCE=/usr/src/linux" and copying the module over.
The "ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Cannot allocate memory" problem was addressed
by rebuilding and copying the module.

During this exercise I re-read "9. Performance tuning for 2.4 and newer
kernels" of the readme.  And then I re-read the same section.  Hmmmm.
How do I determine what value to give lo_prealloc.

Cheers Jari for the help.

Regards

Fog_Watch.

--