Re: LVM2 logical volumes on Loop-AES

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:36:38 +1000
Fog_Watch <db5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to encrypt most of my file server.  To do this I thought
> I would place logical volumes on top of loop-aes.  This is where I've
> got to:
> #losetup -K /mnt/keys/keyfile.gpg /dev/loop3 /dev/hda6
> #pvcreate /dev/loop3
> Physical volume "/dev/loop3" successfully created
> #vgcreate vg /dev/loop3
>  Found duplicate PV SO5CgPDJuTwi8LFh7x7N4qqCaEU70hJ9: using /dev/hda6
> not /dev/loop3 Found duplicate PV SO5CgPDJuTwi8LFh7x7N4qqCaEU70hJ9:
> using /dev/loop3 not /dev/hda6 Found duplicate PV
> SO5CgPDJuTwi8LFh7x7N4qqCaEU70hJ9: using /dev/hda6 not /dev/loop3 Found
> duplicate PV SO5CgPDJuTwi8LFh7x7N4qqCaEU70hJ9: using /dev/loop3
> not /dev/hda6 Volume group "vg" successfully created
>
> Well, that looks ugly to me.  There is something I'm not doing
> correctly here.  I know this is a vague question but, do you have any
> pointers as to whether and how LVM2 logical volumes should be
> established on loop-aes loop devices?
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> Regards
>
> Fog_Watch.
I started this last year.  For the record, the answer is
loop-AES-v3.2c, the readme and the comments in build-initrd.sh.  There
is some elaboration on the documentation in a Gentoo how to:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_loop-AES_LVM2_root_partition.

Basically the technique is to put logical volumes onto partitions,
loop-aes loopbacks on these and file systems over the top.
Thanks to Jari for working this out.

Regards

Fog_Watch.
--