Loop-AES on LVM2 logical volumes, problems with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

Hello

My root volume is on a loop-AES device, which is in turn on an LVM2
logical volume. The loop-AES device is created by an initial ramdisk at
the start of the boot process.  The ramdisk was created by
"./build-initrd.sh build-initrd.conf".

When CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y, boot proceeds without error.  That is, grub
finishes, I am prompted for a loop-AES password and boot starts.
When CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y, grub finishes, the ramdisk cycles through as
though I had repeatedly entered in the incorrect password and finishes
with "System halted."  The most salient error listed is:
"ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Cannot allocate memory".

On this 2GB machine I can boot a Knoppix, for example, CD which has
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.  losetup can then be used without error.  When
booting from disk though I get this kooky "Cannot allocate memory"
error.  Any ideas why?

Regards

Fog_Watch.
# uname -r