Re: Who is booting IBM T42 or similar from USB stick?

> DamnSmallLinux and other compact solutions are a good example. If your mainboard & usb combination works with one of these distros you can use it for loop-aes, too. But be cautious: Don´t mix up bootloader and kernel! It is one thing to get a bootloader working and another to build a kernel that starts from usb devices properly.
> In case you attach a hard drive via usb the kernel definitely needs usb-core/usb-storage and such to be built-in! I saw problems with some usb-wlan device after I ran a kernel with usb built into the kernel. Because of this I can only advice to stick to a standard kernel configuration and make no more changes to it than there are really needed.

I learnet some lessons on how to boot from USB sticks after running
SLAX. Very nice distro, that I often carry around now, and has saved
some friends' windows installations more than once.

> > I don't have T42 yet - it is making a transatlantic trip. I'll send
> > feedback about setting up syslinux in case there is something unusual.
>
> Before buying this T42 I suggest you inform yourself about its usb related features. Once again, the manual for the mainboard is the best source for this! My next mainboard will come with support for usb boot devices - or remain in the shop!

At least my Thinkpad X40 can boot from anything over the USB. I would
be surprised if the T42 can not.
It can even program the BIOS flash with TFTP over ethernet...

// Anders

-