Re: initramfs and loop-aes

>To see if a kernel is suitable simply omit the initial ramdisk in your bootloader configuration.
Thank you, this helped! I just had to change my grub.conf like this:

title=test
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/kernel- genkernel-x86-2.6.20-suspend2
-r6 root=/dev/sda5
#root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=4096 real_root=/dev/sda5 resume2=swap:/dev/sda6 doscsi
#initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-suspend2-r6

It seams strange that root encryption failed anyway.
I used my own way to finish encrypted root setup:

    1.  when booted from livecd, I copied all my genoo filesystem (ext3) to another partition on same disk, to convert to reiserfs and test if that works - it worked O.K.
    2.  booted my ext3 system and changed all necessary things for root encryption in reiserfs partition. (I changed DESTINATIONROOT=/mnt/sda5 in build-initrd.sh)
    3.  created bootable USB.
    4.  set up encrypted partiton in my second hard drive and copied files from prepared reiserfs partition on first hdd. (I could do this, using dd command even faster than copying separate files, but that came across my mind later)

Could this make any problem?

I'm happy that I can boot my kernel without initramfs now, but, as I am planning to use hibernation, I would like to know if I can avoid initramfs then (for example following Alon Bar-Lev's how-to)?

PS: it took me almost one month to build correctly configured kernel!! There are really many possible options and I had to read a lot especially because I didn't knew much about kernel and hardware... Also, I didn't wanted to include anything unnecessary in my kernel.