Re: status of loop-aes + swsusp ?

Hank Leininger wrote:
> It looks like Jari had just updated loop-aes to make it compatible with
> swsusp in general (in release 2.0f), but there were still problems doing
> encrypted root + swsusp.  Has anybody done any further work on this,
> like the initrd changes that might make it come together?  Jari, do you
> think that such initrd tweaks as you suggested then, would be enough to
> make it work, or are there in fact other reasons why this may not be
> doable?

I quickly looked at Alon Bar-Lev's page at

 http://wiki.tuxonice.net/EncryptedSwapAndRoot

and it appears to do the right thing. My earlier comments about problems
arising out of mounting a "permanent-storage-device" prior to to resume,
seem to be completely avoided by Alon Bar-Lev's script. That is because it
appears to mount RAM disk only, and any "changes" to such RAM based device
vanish on resume. So no inconsistency between RAM-after-resume and
"permanent-storage-device" can occour.

The initrd created by loop-AES' build-initrd.sh script needs to mount a
"permanent-storage-device" to load programs that were intentionally omitted
from initrd. The reason why it was done like that was to make the initrd as
small as possible and also make it kernel version independent. At least on
some setups the RAM occupied by initrd can't be freed, so making initrd
small was really RAM saving feature.

Does anyone have any idea how big that initramfs is that contains by Alon
Bar-Lev's script and other needed programs+bits. And also, is that RAM
free-able?

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-