Re: Linux distro w/loop-aes

Phil wrote:
> I wish Jari would change the README to clarify the
> possibility of building and installing loop-aes
> without a kernel recompile by replacing an existing
> loop driver  module.

It is not that simple. Rules:

- Always compile kernel and all modules using same C compiler and tools.
- Always compile kernel and all modules using same kernel sources.
- Always compile kernel and all modules using same kernel configuration.

All code that runs in kernel space must have same view of kernel data
structures, and use same type generated code for locking and such. Deviating
from above rules will often result in situation where that is no longer
true.

If kernel and modules are compiled on different boxes, then you run into
these questions/problems:

- Are you using same C compiler and tools as the party that compiled your
  kernel? Sometimes tools are upgraded on one box and not on other.
- Are you using same kernel sources as the party that compiled your kernel?
  I can recall at least one distro that includes embargoed security fixes in
  their precompiled kernel binaries, but sources that they distribute do not
  include those fixes (to avoid disclosing those fixes).
- Are you using same kernel configuration as the party that compiled your
  kernel? Distros ship different kernels compiled using different kernel
  configurations. Kernel sources and its configuration that you installed
  do not necessarily reflect the kernel binary that you installed.
- Are your kernel sources in a state that can be used to compile kernel
  modules? Your distro may have "cleaned" your kernel sources by removing
  compile time generated files that are required to compile kernel modules.
  All this to save space.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-