Re: Linux distro w/loop-aes

Absolutely, I understand you want people to recompile
the kernel to make 100% sure these things all match.

I suppose you could always give that proviso and also
say that problems may appear if this is not done, but
then say the user may get away with not recompiling
the kernel if (a) loop support was not compiled into
the running kernel but was built as a loadable module;
(b) the user does not wish to encrypt the root
filesystem but only wishes to encrypt a
partition/device; (c) the user's prepared kernel
sources .config exactly matches that of the running
kernel; (d) the user compiles the module using the
exact same version of gcc (and is it binutils?) that
the running kernel was compiled with; (e) anything
I've forgotten.

I've done this to match certain knoppix kernels, not
using Max's packages but from source.  The only
problem I've noticed is on one system there are
occasional freezes but only when a certain gtk2 app is
loaded it seems. That might be the app though or some
interaction with it  - it hasn't been updated in four
years.

--- Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://sims.yahoo.com/

-