Re: Linux distro w/loop-aes

Hi markus,

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:44:50PM +0200, markus reichelt wrote:
> * Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
>
> > > Change of status, I'm currently working on it.
> > >
> > You work on what? Which distro is it?
>
> I'm a slackware user (as indirectly mentioned before) so I work on
> the slackware installer.

Hey, cool that you're working on this for slackware. :-)

> Well, I've got it working (proof-of-concept), but the setup is
> somewhat messy... Long story short, One has to know what one is
> doing, most likely there won't be the infamous
> Point'n'Click-interface due to the nature of a typical slackware
> install. But I have some ideas of making life more comfortable in
> this regard.... will put up a draft / roadmap when I'm confident
> about beta testers.

Just a thought: Reading your mail I went through the issues I
came across doing similar for debian-installer -- and came to think
that some of those issues probably affect all installers independent
of the distribution to be installed. For example, the small amount
of entropy gathered up to the point of key generation.

I think it could be interesting to share some ideas and maybe code
in this area. Like, to overcome the small amount of entropy, in Debian
the user is presented with a text entry box and asked to type random
characters into it - A progress bar shows how much mindless typing
remains ;-) This is not exactly great, and I would be interested in
discussing other approaches to the problem.

E.g. we could try to take advantage of hardware RNGs - but how to
detect them? hw_random used to autoload and provide a /dev/hwrandom
(IIRC) on this system here but blocked reads forever as the chipset
doesn't really have an RNG. Another idea was to just trigger any disk
IO and hope that the IDE/SCSI driver contributes entropy this way.
Or perhaps using audio/video-entropyd  - but are they reliable enough
on their own or should their output be fed through something like
rngd to be safe? Or should we just use /dev/urandom?

Regarding the implementation, large parts of our code are specific
to the Debian partitioning tool (partman) and the debconf interface
used in the installer, but maybe some bits are also applicable or
interesting for your slackware implementation, maybe blockdev-wipe
which is like dd if=/dev/zero with progress output. You can find most
of this code at [1] and there is some discussion at [2] and also
spread in the debian-boot list archives.

Happy hacking and looking forward to your results :-)

cheers,
Max

--
1: svn://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/packages/partman/partman-crypto
2: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/PartmanCrypto

-