Re: crypto-root-fs/debian-netinst.iso/dailybuild/-WORKING-with dmcrypt

hallo Max,

........ for some strange reason, one mail-reply from me has disappeared again;
maybe it's just too big to be accepted here, anyway .........

(over-edited 1 day later, after this email also disapeared and before was send
again.
I heard about socks got lost in the washing-mashine, but emails ..........)

> If you chose "Random key" for the partition it will not be
> required to generate as much random data and hence not ask you
> to do the press-random-keys step.

Yes, it did. Crypting the swap and the root-fs with dm-crypt IS WORKING.
I used the debian-testing-netinst.iso from 03.08.2006.
I also had changed the dummy-PW to a real PW which broke my neck
the last atempt with loop-AES.

> Yes. Encrypted root on loop-AES is not implemented since we
> still need hooks for initramfs-tools to handle it. This is
> tracked in Debian bug #378488, which also has a preliminary in-
> development version of such hook scripts.

I just overlooked/did-not-know that fact.

> > I now switch off everything and dry the pee with a bing fan
> > because I am pissed off.
>
> Sorry if you have wasted your time. I hope that I / we / the
> documentation haven't given the impression that it is expected
> to be working flawless at this stage of development.

No, you wasted nothing, just the opposit, but I really overdid it the last
40 hours and was angrily disappointet, without reason, of course.

> If you still decide to do more tests with it, the best place to
> report your results with the development version of the installer
> is the debian-boot mailinglist (debian-boot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

I had a look at that list and was impressed about how the things where
handled there.
In the moment I have nothing to give which is not allready there.

Thanks + keep up the good work.

                                 Reverend

-