Re: crypto-root-fs via debian-netinst.iso-dailybuild-loopAES

Hi again,

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:35:44PM +0200, reverend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I had to give the full random-pool for crypted-swap with the
> keyboard,

If you chose "Random key" for the partition it will not be
required to generate as much random data and hence not ask you
to do the press-random-keys step.

> I had it to do again for the second crypted partition and the
> menu/the function crashes after 12 or 13%; I had to start again
> to fill the random-pool for this, second, crypted Partition.

I have had a closer look but have been unable to reproduce
such crash so far. On the off-chance that you are still motivated
to try it once more :-) Please do save a copy of files in
/var/log/ from inside the installer. Those should allow to
narrow-down the problem.

> This time I made it up to 100% and was than messaged, that I
> had choosen crypto for "/", which is not possible, I should go
> back and change this.
>
> Remember that crypto for "/" had, at least to this point,
> worked so far under choosen dm-crypt.

Yes. Encrypted root on loop-AES is not implemented since we
still need hooks for initramfs-tools to handle it. This is
tracked in Debian bug #378488, which also has a preliminary in-
development version of such hook scripts.

> I now switch off everything and dry the pee with a bing fan
> because I am pissed off.

Sorry if you have wasted your time. I hope that I / we / the
documentation haven't given the impression that it is expected
to be working flawless at this stage of development.

If you still decide to do more tests with it, the best place to
report your results with the development version of the installer
is the debian-boot mailinglist (debian-boot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

cheers,
Max

-