Re: need some feedback please

* rodger ellis <rellis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I don't see the point in encrypting / if you put all your personal
> data on the /home partition. Then / contains just the operating
> system, and that's nothing someone who steals your computer would
> be interested in. Is my thinking correct here?

Additionally to what's been said already: If one doesn't want to
worry about adapting one's distro in such a way that no info
whatsoever about /home is revealed, encrypting the system completely
is the way to go. Lots of distros have some kind of cronjob by
default to index files. Try running locate on a file you have in
encrypted /home

SSH session to my laptop:

root@falcon:~# locate .muttrc
/home/chef/.muttrc

/home is encrypted and currently not mounted.

Granted, it's all about one's paranoia level, but it's important to
know both about possible drawbacks of only a partial system
encryption and the means available/necessary to counteract its
overall effects.

--
left blank, right bald