Re: need some feedback please

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, fap@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

IMHO the answer is about your paranoia level. An unencrypted / partition will
certainly give some intel about your data, whether in an encrypted partition
or somewhere else. However, a cleverly mantained unencrypted / partition may
be used as a decoy for a clean machine. Let me explain myself, the
unencrypted / partition might mean that the machine doesn't need to encypher
anything, therefore an uninteresting machine. However, if on the same machine
you boot it with a Live OS and write to encrypted spaces of the disk, it
might be possible to completely cloak the second use of the machine.

The difficulty here is keeping the uncloaked OS form walking over the cloacked data in the encrypted section. If it is done as seperate partitions, then anyone looking at the drive with fdisk will see something else is there. If the encrypted data is in unused space, there has to be some way of keeping the other OS from writing over the data you want.

Allocating the encrypted data as bad sectors perhaps?

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.