Re: loop-AES and RPM's in FC5

You might want to add an appropriate exclude line to /etc/yum.conf to prevent the utils and kernel from getting updated.

I'm not sure if mount, losetup and the other utils are all included in one package with Fedora (check), but assuming you want to exclude for eg a package starting with "mount" from being updated then you'd add the following line to /etc/yum.conf:

exclude=mount*

Not sure if you have to exclude losetup, swapon, swapoff as well - probably.  Find out what packages these belong to and exclude these?

On doing an update, any package starting with "mount" then shouldn't get touched.

A kernel update might (?) replace your new loop.o driver as well, or at least would no longer match it, so you should exclude the kernel from updating as well:

exclude=kernel*

As for rpms - you could build your utils and loop.o driver into rpms using checkinstall if you want, but it's probbably of no advantage since you're only ever going to be manually compiling and replacing these anyway.

Lohan Knight <lohan_knight@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I'd like to just be able to
say "yum update" and not worry about having it install
something that breaks loop-AES stuff.

I know in the past the docs said to turn off the cryptoloop
driver and disable the loop device driver in the kernel config
settings. Then recompile the kernel. Then patch gnupg with
a patch file. Then compile loop-AES which will copy a new
loop.o to /lib/modules. Then patch util-linux. Then install
ciphers.

I assume the same process would be needed to install it
for FC5.

Problem is, once I patch stuff manually, I'm no longer able
to put those programs under RPM / Yum control. Am I? I
mean won't they just get overwritten once I do an update
("yum update")? So I'd have to somehow remove it from
RPM control first, which I don't know how to do yet. And then
I'd have to manually update the various items (kernel,
util-linux, gnupg, loop-AES) from time to time, which is
undesirable.

So how do you all handle this? Do you just not update your
systems once you've gotten loop-AES working? Or do you
create your own RPM's? I don't know how to go about all
that. It's new to me. I know I have to learn more about Yum
and RPM package management.

Advice?

Thanks,
- Steve

-
Linux-crypto: cryptography in and on the Linux system
Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/