Re: Shred and stuff

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
> Could the fact that I ran a umask before shredding matter?

No.

> Hmm.. I wonder. When running head on sda I get nothing, while on sdb I
> get a lot of junk, could my system in some obscure way changed places
> for the drives even though my old drive is on SATA1?
> I noticed that my new drive is on SATA3 which is wrong but I shouldn't
> think it would matter?

Linux does not have stable /dev/sd* names. Disks allocate sda, sdb, sdc,...
in order they are detected. If link order of kernel drivers change, then
their detection order may change as well.

If old and new drives are of different sizes, then you can check their sizes
(in 512 byte units) using these commands:

    blockdev --getsize /dev/sda
    blockdev --getsize /dev/sdb

> Does anyone understand what is going on and is it possible to save my data?

You overwrote your old disk. Re-install / restore from backup.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-