Shred and stuff

I have used loop-AES for a good while now and have had good feelings
about it all this time but yesterday night something happened that I
can't really understand.

I have recently upgraded my computer to a 64-bit system. Everything
seemed ok after I fixed support for SATA, I got my harddrive which is a
SATA to run and found all my encrypted partitions.
However I had also inserted a new SATA-drive that I wanted to encrypt.
So I started by shredding it over the night.

The odd thing is that after this shredding my old drive doesn't seem to
have any filesystems left. All I get is errors when trying to mount it.
It tells me that it has a bad superblock, which generally means there is
no filesystem on it I asume.

I can't quite understand how sda could have been damaged when I shreded sdb.
Could the fact that I ran a umask before shredding matter?

Hmm.. I wonder. When running head on sda I get nothing, while on sdb I
get a lot of junk, could my system in some obscure way changed places
for the drives even though my old drive is on SATA1?
I noticed that my new drive is on SATA3 which is wrong but I shouldn't
think it would matter?

Does anyone understand what is going on and is it possible to save my data?

cheers
/Gabriel

-