Re: loop-AES with ReiserFS for file-backed loop?

> Anon wrote:
> > Could I then use ReiserFS on top of a file backed loop device?
>
> the loop-AES.README also states:
>
>     1. Loop device primer
>     [...]
>     File backed loops may deadlock under some kernel + file system
>     combinations.
>     So, if you can choose between device backed and file backed, choose
>     device backed even if it means that you have to re-partition your
>     disks.
I *am* planning on using a device-backed loop.

> so, file backed loops SHOULD be avoided, no matter if encrypted or not,
> with journaling fs on it or without. yes, it's possible and you SHOULD
> try it to see if it works for you. but in "most cases" file backed loops
> are behaving better.
I assume you really meant device-backed loops in the last sentance above.

My interest in using a file-backed loop is so that I can have a loop-AES device-backed loop
containing a loop-AES file-backed loop, for two (or more) layers of encryption.

I have the impression from the loop-AES.README file a non-journalling file system can be used in a
file-backed loop.  It is my understanding from the ReiserFS documentation that using the "nolog"
option during mounting would satisfy the non-journalling criteria, as this option disables
journalling.

Anon

-