Re: catch-22 upgrading to 2.6 kernel?

Marvin Lyndon wrote:
> I followed your advice and found that, after the
                                         ^^^^^

> mounting /dev/sda as /lib failed
>
> error message, I get
>
> sda: unknown partition table
> attached scsi removable device sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Underlined "after" part is the relevant information here. Kernel's USB code
can be slow to detect USB devices. Of course mount fails if mounting is
attempted _before_ the device is detected.

Solution: Set INITIALDELAY=8 or other larger value in your build-initrd.sh
configuration. Extra wait time before mount won't harm 2.4 kernel boot.

> So apparently /dev/sda is seen by the kernel, but its partition table isn't
> understood by the 2.6 kernel? I have a 2.4.31 kernel on the same USB key
> which boots fine from it.

One more check, just to be sure: Can you verify that you have
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y in your kernel configuration?

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-