Re: catch-22 upgrading to 2.6 kernel?

Hello,

Thanks for your help on this.

You were right and I should keep using /dev/sda; indeed the device name is not the problem

Observe boot kernel boot messages. If some device is not detected, it may be
caused by needed driver not being linked directly to the kernel.

I followed your advice and found that, after the

mounting /dev/sda as /lib failed

error message, I get

sda: unknown partition table
attached scsi removable device sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

So apparently /dev/sda is seen by the kernel, but its partition table isn't understood by the 2.6 kernel? I have a 2.4.31 kernel on the same USB key which boots fine from it.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Do you know what might be causing this? FYI,

[root@computer linux-2.6.14]# grep FAT .config
# CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL is not set
# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=850
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-15"

[root@computer linux-2.6.14]# grep NLS .config |grep "=y"
CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=y
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=y
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y

Why shouldn't the key's partition table be recognized by this kernel?

Thanks for any help

Marvin

-