catch-22 upgrading to 2.6 kernel?

Hi everyone

I'm trying to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel and am finding some problems. I keep the rootkey.gpg on a usb drive. I followed all the steps for recompiling the kernel in the README. (Fortunately I also kept my previous 2.4 kernel on the file and configured syslinux to allow me to boot from it. : ) )

The trouble is that the system boots the new kernel and then complains:

Mounting /dev/sda as /lib failed

Some googling reminded me that the naming convention for devices changes with 2.6: so I tried editing my /boot/initrd.conf so that it read

CRYPTROOT=/dev/discs/disc0/part1 (formerly /dev/hda1)
BOOTDEV=/dev/discs/disc1  (formerly /dev/sda?)

I am pretty much guessing concerning the second device name; how can I find the new correct name for /dev/sda if I cannot boot the 2.6 kernel?

But even if I get past this hurdle, I find myself in a catch-22 situation: trying to run buildinitrd.sh (needed because I changed /boot/initrd.conf) fails with an error message stating that it cannot find the device nodes:

This
***  script was supposed to create block device nodes for     ***
***  BOOTDEV=, CRYPTROOT= and possibly EXTERNALGPGDEV= but    ***
***  lacked knowledge of how to create at least one of them.  ***
***  Script aborted.

How can I get buildinitrd.sh to succeed in configuring the initrd for use with a 2.6 kernel while still running a 2.4 kernel?

I don't know if this helps, but I don't have devfs support enabled in my kernel config.

I would be grateful for any help on this.

Best

Marvin

-