Re: data leakage

* Marvin Lyndon <marvin.lyndon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>suppose you just use a chunk of RAM as a swap device [http://
> >kerneltrap.org/node/3660] Surely you are joking... How can using
> >RAM for a SWAP device possibly make sense?
>
> The article explains that. Although swap/"virtual memory" initially
> was meant to overcome insufficient RAM, the Linux kernel now
> actually expects it to be present; erratic behavior has often been
> reported on machines with copious amounts of RAM but no swap.
> "Surely you are joking" was also my reaction at first.

First of all, thanks for the info.

However, I took a glance at the article and I don't see the problem;
the first paragraph of that article does not mention anything you
refer to:

"Linux: How to Use RAM as Swap
Posted by kmerley on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 23:05

Article submitted by Kim Merley

This article describes the required steps to convert a portion of RAM
into swap space. We examine some of the reasons you might want to do
this, including that using RAM as swap can be many times less
expensive than using most fast solid state storage solutions.
Additionally, it can be a lot easier to purchase and implement. Read
on for the details."

Maybe you'd like to quote the passage that concers you, regarding a
specific setup (f.e., encrypted /home & swap, /tmp in ram) and why
exactly, with regard to the afforementioned setup, could it result in
data leakage? How do you define data leakage in that context?