Re: data leakage

On Oct 24, 2005, at 12:43 PM, Marvin Lyndon wrote:

suppose you just use a chunk of RAM as a swap device [http:// kerneltrap.org/node/3660]

Surely you are joking... How can using RAM for a SWAP device possibly make sense?

Rather, encrypt the swap device on disk, too.

Similarly, /tmp is mounted as a ramfs.

Our Solaris installations used to do this by default, and were prone to running out of RAM. Some programs write *large* files into /tmp for short periods of time...

Given such a setup, is there any reason to fear data leakage to sectors outside the encrypted partition?

/var/run
/var/tmp

There may well be other places... check the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. Also check to see if your installation follows it. Then remove all application programs, as these may write data to various places...

Honestly, I found it much more robust to simply encrypt the whole disk and have done with it. This worked well enough on a Linux laptop, I booted from a USB flash drive. (Now I use a Mac OS X laptop which does not yet support whole-disk encryption, so I make do as best I can... but on Linux there are better options!)

~ boyd

-