data leakage

Hello everyone,

I have often heard arguments against only encrypting the partition(s) containing sensitive data: "data will leak", people tell me, hence you should really be encrypting the entire system.

I would like to know how exactly it is that "data leaks". Swap is an obvious suspect; but suppose you just use a chunk of RAM as a swap device [http://kerneltrap.org/node/3660]. Similarly, /tmp is mounted as a ramfs. Given such a setup, is there any reason to fear data leakage to sectors outside the encrypted partition?

Thanks for any hints,

Marvin

-