Re: Corrupt files on hard disk

Tommy Back wrote:
> ReiserFS: warning: is_tree_node: node level 35571 does not match to the
> expected one 1
> ReiserFS: loop4: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found
> in block 3014659. Fsck?
> ReiserFS: loop4: warning: vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o
> failure occurred trying to find stat data of [1311 1314 0x0 SD]

Any ide driver error messages prior to those messages?

> PDC20262: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0d.0
> PDC20262: chipset revision 1
> PDC20262: 100% native mode on irq 16
> PDC20262: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0x6000-0x6007, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0x6008-0x600f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:DMA

Your hdparm and losetup examples used hda. Above info is for hd{e,f,g,h}

> I just tried to do some more tests with the partition with corrupt files
> and I was really surprised that a file, which was corrupt (I couldn't
> delete it as root or move/rename it) was okey and I could delete it. Now
> another file was corrupt instead. What is going on here?! I have not
> even touched the files since I wrote the mail to the mailing list, so
> I'd suppose the same file, which was corrupt in the previous fsck would
> be corrupt now as well. Any ideas or comments? Could it be a problem
> with Reiserfs?

That sounds like some file metadata was corrupted while it was read from
disk platters to kernel ram. That bad metadata seemed to persist because
kernel cached that corrupted data. Eventually that cached data was dropped
because kernel needed that ram for something else. On new read from disk,
all went ok.

Any chance you could test using ext3 file system?

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-