Re: Problems building from tarballs solved

Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
> >     mv .config z            # save config
> >     make distclean          # get rid of previous kernel compile junk
> >     mv z .config            # restore config
> >     make oldconfig
> >     make dep && make clean
> >     make bzImage && make modules
>
> Do I really need "make modules" in case I use source of running kernel and
> only just install loop-aes?
> So far I just reconfigured the kernel .config and built a new image with
> "make bzImage". Then I changed the kernel image, booted it and that´s it.
> Why do I have to recompile hundreds of modules?

All code that runs in kernel space must be compiled using exactly same
kernel configuration.

1) change kernel source -> recompile kernel and all modules
2) change kernel configuration -> recompile kernel and all modules
3) change C compiler -> recompile kernel and all modules

Kernel configuration change that does not change compiler code generation or
size of kernel structures probably does not need full recompile of kernel
and all modules. Full recompile+install is always the safest thing to do.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-