Re: Conflict between loop-aes README and debian guides

On 6/28/05, Phil H <philtickle200@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The loop-aes README is quite unambiguous about the
> need to ensure that the kernel against which the
> loop.o driver is built has been compiled "...so that
> CONFIG_MODULES=y
> and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n".  (The usual with
> downloaded precompiled debian kernels would be
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m). (As I have been attempting to
> do)

Debian's loop-aes module package moves the original loop module out of
the way and will restore it, when it's deinstalled.  As long as you do
not want to have your root on an loop-aes-encrypted volume, you can
use a stock debian kernel.  I'm using loop-aes-encrypted swap on a few
machines with Debian's kernels 2.6.8-2 and 2.6.11-1.

Root on an loop-aes volume will not be easy with a stock debian
kernel, because it is built much too modular.  Although it's
definately possibly if you build a custom initrd, I wouldn't recommend
it.

Regards,
Jim

-