Re: loop-aes-ciphers make problem with kernel version

> I'm sure this is something embarrassingly obvious
> but ...?

Ah - I've worked out what was wrong!  I had deleted
the "linux" symlink in /usr/src before compiling
loop.o, and I didn't specify LINUX_SOURCE explicitly
as a "make" command switch.

My thanks for everybody's patience.  Not sure whether
the fault was one or both of these, but after re-doing
with the symlink back in and LINUX_SOURCE specified, I
now have a working loop.o on this kernel, without
doing any dubious manipulations.

One more thing though (sorry!):

The debian source came from www.backports.org and was
kernel-source-2.4.26_2.4.26-6_all.deb.  In fact I was
actually looking for the deb source for the downloaded
kernel image from the same place, which was
kernel_image-2.4.26-1-386_2.4.26-5.backports.org.1_i386.deb
That kernel source was all that was there for 2.4.26.
I posted to the backports mail list to check that I
did in fact have the right source, and was told that
this source did in fact pertain to my downloaded
kernel image, despite the fact that one has a "-5" and
the other a "-6" in the handles.  I didn't follow the
explanation as to why there were different numbers:
one had been rebuilt and the other hadn't been, or
something.

"fakesource" then created source code from this with
the directory name
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.26-1-386.

But the kernel that actually runs from
kernel_image-2.4.26-1-386_2.4.26-5.backports.org.1_i386.deb
is (according to uname -r) 2.4.27-2-386 (note the
"2").

This led to a warning at the end of building
loop-aes-ciphers that the modules were built for
2.4.26-1-386 but the running kernel was 2.4.26-2-386
and that these wouldn't run (although they do).

How significant are these appended kernel build
numbers on the same version kernel, especially when
one or both numbers have been generated by
fakesource/backports?

Should I still be concerned? - all tests have been
passed so far.