Re: gentoo kernel 2.6 & loop-aes vs cryptoapi

Joni Kurtz wrote:
> - is aes-256 encryption of cryptoapi compatible with loop-aes 256 or do I
> have to backup my data first.

loop-AES version 1 on-disk format as implemented by the kernel driver, is
compatible with cryptoloop AES up to 2 TB device size. However, the userpace
key setup part of mount and losetup programs most likely are not compatible
by default (didn't look at gentoo patch).

loop-AES version 2 and 3 on-disk formats are not compatible with mainline.

Securitywise, loop-AES-v1 / cryptoloop on-disk format is busted. Don't ever
consider using those.

> - is there any performance diffrences between loopaes and cryptoapi or are
> the optimized pentium code even the same?

Last time I checked, loop-AES was faster, but I haven't speed tested
mainline crypto code for long time.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  D

-