Re: SuSE 9.3 64-Bit and problems with booting from usb-stick

Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
> > Please post your compressed kernel config and build-initrd.sh config.
>
> Both are attached as .gz files.

Build-initrd.sh config looked ok. Didn't look at kernel config because /lib
mount appears to be ok.

> Command "/lib/loadkeys /lib/default.kmap" returned error
> Command "/lib/insmod /lib/modules-2.6.11.4-20a-default/loop.ko" returned
> error

Error message "Mounting /dev/sdb1 as /lib failed" means that /lib mount
failed. Above error messages mean that /lib was already mounted
successfully, but there is some userspace library dependence that causes the
failure.

Plan A
~~~~~~
Make sure that all programs copied to your USB-stick have their libraries
copied there also. As in 'ldd /sbin/losetup ; ldd /sbin/insmod' and so on.
At least Red Hat and Gentoo seem to ship ldd program that no longer outputs
proper path to the library file in all cases, and that causes
build-initrd.sh script to skip those libraries. I would not be surprised if
SUSE had adopted that same braindamage as well.

Plan B
~~~~~~
Can you try setting INITRDONLY=1 in build-initrd.sh config and manually copy
statically linked copies off all needed programs (losetup, insmod, loadkeys
and gpg) to your USB-stick.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-