Re: AW: AW: Hello and DVD-ROM encryption

Info <info@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have managed both a small overburn, and any amount of
underburn, now I
> just keep burning the same image file with different files on
it. I have
> my doubts about the security of this, as any space that is not
rewritten
> between burns will have the same data on it, that would
certainly tell
> someone about the size of the data written, and might provide
other
> avenues of attack.
>
> The reason I used ext2 (which I don't think is journalled
afaik) was
> it's ability to support all the filenames and directory depths
that I
> might find on the volume I an writing to DVD. As pointed out
> compatibility with Windows is out anyway until loop-aes is
available
> there. Also it can handle symbolic links, I'm not sure that
they would
> be OK with iso9660.
>
> BTW, does anyone know of a way of making symbolic links to
volumes that
> are offline that when you try to open them run some external
program to
> cause the volume to be mounted? That way I could keep all the
> directories of backed up stuff available, with just access to
the data
> requiring a volume to be mounted.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Hilton

So you have experience in building encrypted DVDs? That´s what I
am looking for. Ok, ISO9660 will not allow all that ext2/3 does.
As I only use the DVDs for backup there is no need for dozens of
subdirs. I´d be interested to know how you actually master the
images. You don´t use mkisofs, do you? I´m looking for the right
way to create ISO9660 images than can be burned on DVD.
The question is how much data fits on DVD? 4.0 or 4.4GB? I don´t
want the key to be stored with the data on DVD. My testing has
shown hang ups on very full directories. Sometimes seeks failed
and such. It might be a matter of bad media quality or unsuitable
mastering.
In brief, I build up directory tree, called mkisofs -r and piped
the iso through aespipe. Output can than be burned to DVD with
Nero or k3b. Jari uses a 8192 byte section on beginning of CDROM
to store the key and some zeroes. I store the key elsewhere.
Maybe the missing free space is the cause for the lock ups?
I´m interested in concrete examples.

Regards,
Peter

--