AW: Hello and DVD-ROM encryption

>I have been quite successful at doing this, I make a file backed up
>image of an ext2 filesystem, which I can mount, fill with files, close
>and then write directly to the DVD (as a stream, not as an iso image).
>Then I can mount the DVD the same way, and read the individual files
>from it.

What is the difference of writing it "as a stream" or as an ISO? I do not
know how to write a DVD as a stream. I have only one DVD-Writer and it is in
a Windows-PC, so I use Nero to burn the image file... I can use either ISO
or Data Mode 1 with 2048 Blocksize. Both will work, but both have those
errors I mentioned in some files.
How do I write a stream? What parameters do I have to choose when doing
that?

>The relevant bits in fstab are:
>
>/somewhere/cdvdimage	/someplace/CDVDimage	ext2\
> defaults,noauto,user,loop=/dev/loop3,encryption=AES128,\
> itercountk=100,pseed=SomeJunk 0 0

Ok, mine is similar. I use twofish-256 though and I do not know what
itercountk and pseed means. Maybe it is something that is needed by AES? You
use AES-loop and not cryptoloop?

>I made sure to format the image file with a suitably large blocksize.

What block size do I need? Can you give me the command line how to make a
good image file? I used "dd /dev/zero FILE bs=2048 count=<something to make
it 4 GB>" and then "losetup -e twofish-256 /dev/loop7 FILE" and then
"mke2fs -j /dev/loop7", although I guess the -j is useless for a ro-device?

>I am very skeptical about how readable my DVDs will be after some years,
>but I haven't had one fail yet. I certainly don't get many errors.

Hmmm - Maybe it is a hardware error that makes those errors. I will try a
different DVD-ROM. I need to make a backup of my root-system without /home
so I can open these DVDs later even if I need to use a Virtual Machine and
put the backup into is...

>Hope that's helpful,<<

Thanks a lot, but so far, you seem to be doing almost the same as I did.
Except for the things I mentioned above. MAybe if you could tell me more
about these, I can sort out the problem. But then - maybe it really is a
hardware problem.

Ciao

-