Re: Announce loop-AES-v3.0b file/swap crypto package

>jerome etienne <jme@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> i likely miss something. why using a encrypted fs if security isnt part
> of your requirement ?

Encryption = safety. A common misunderstanding.
I guess the question whether you use aes in CBC or LRW or else
implementation is of less importance for security of your data as the
question where you safe your keys and what passphrases you choose.
Encryption is one single utility to keep data away from intruders. You could
also hide your disk in some "secret" place or hide your data in mp3 files,
store it on removable medium to take it with you or else.
But doesn´t encryption benefit from the possibility to store your keys and
mount utils on removable medium so that nobody can temper them while you are
away? Mr. ING. Fruhwirth listed that loop-aes is vulnerable to modifications
to losetup and the utilities needed to set up an encrypted device. Sure, but
you have such probs allways and loop-aes comes very close leaving nothing
behind but an entirely encrypted drive that looks like shredded.
Would you start a brute force attack on a device where you don´t know if it
contains encrypted data or if it is just shredded or been exposed to intense
electomagnetic curls? Don´t forget, you can allways launch brute force
attacks. The question will be, attack on what?
Loop-aes leaves behind a boot sector with master boot record and a partition
table that tells attackers where the data is. As Mr. ING. Fruhwirth
explained it is possible to find blocks with same IV, right? Four partitions
with different setup will protect each other if attacker doesn´t know that
there are four, or more and where they start/end.
Or how about the idea to use several layers of loop-aes encryption? Using
one layer aes-256 and than one more with twofish-256 works pretty fine - you
don´t even have to know a bit about C.
Currently loop-aes uses 64 keys in multi-key mode. I guess it would be
possible to use more. As loop-aes can load and use other chiphers. Mr. ING.
Fruhwirth could write just a module with something else than CBC
implementation of aes. I guess I know why he does not.
http://clemens.endorphin.org/LinuxHDEncSettings is full of academics about
encryption but the whole site lacks installable code. So I don´t see the
problem. Loop-aes is ready and available, optimized for AMD64 and runs
stable on SuSE 8.2 - 9.2. dm-cryptoloop and it´s various "better"
implementations are in a pre-testing phase. Until aes in CMC or LRW or else
will become available to end-users I will have to use my phantasy and think
about how all traces of data can be removed to keep attackers from looking
for content.
Maybe "sniffing some more glue", Mr. ING. Fruhwirth, will give me the right
inspiration.

Regards,
Peter

--