Re: Setting up loop-aes: Using util-linux != 2.12i

Hi yanosz,

Jan Lühr <jluehr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11. Januar 2005 15:34 schrieb Max Vozeler:
> > Sarge is probably still going to include loop-AES 2.X. The update to
> > v3.0a would need a newer version of util-linux to make it into testing
> > first, and this is unlikely to happen before the release.
>
> Yeah, yeah, base freeze - I know. (Freezing the base-system, and waiting
> months for security support which is still not established or will be
> established in a foreseeable period is quite foolish)

There _are_ people looking after security updates in testing, even
though the security support is not yet official. Cf. recent mails to
debian-release by Joey Hess. What is still not established are auto-
builders for testing-security, AIUI.

> Is there a blocker for not patching 3.0a into sarge's util-linux?

Yes, mainly that I don't have time to do the backport, and to give the
resulting tools thorough testing. Considering that 2.X is very fine in
itself, I'd also say it's not worth the effort and the risk of adding
new bugs in the process.

> (use base-components from sid in will raise the amount of work quite a
> lot)

Not sure I understand what you mean here.

We are getting quite off-topic for linux-crypto with this, let's
continue in direct mail if you like.

Regards,
Max

--
308E81E7B97963BCA0E6ED889D5BD511B7CDA2DC

-