Re: 177GB ext3 partition fscked (aes256)

Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
> Is there any cure to prevent crashing apps from writing into my kernel RAM
> and corrupting my filesystem?

Userspace apps can't write directly to kernel RAM, but if you are using
buggy kernel driver, or driver compiled from wrong kernel configuration,
anything can happen.

Does your openGL version install any kernel drivers?

> Is there a way to make some testing? I mean to cause a crash and look
> whether it gets better by adding "sync" to the fstab? So far I tried with
> the reset button, but that´s just powerloss and not a crash. On ext3 fs
> would the crash be reversible if only I replay the journal?

Mounting the file system or running fsck.ext3 should replay the journal.

> With regard to the data partition it would be an idea to just mount it
> readonly when starting openGL games.

Mounting it read-only may help, but something is seriusly wrong with
your box. This crash happened twice, correct?

IMO, correct fix is stop using such crashing drivers or upgrade/recompile
them to better match your kernel config.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-