Trying to set up root encryption with loop-AES on SuSE 9.1

Hello,

my installed version of util-linux is 2.12-72. There is a file called loop-AES-v2.0f-util-linux-2.12.diff in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/. Can I use this one, or should I use a newer version? Where do I get it and how do I avoid messing up with YaST?

There also is a README.loop-AES-v2.0f.SuSE file saying that "to enhance the feature of mount, umount, losetup, swapon and swapoff we have included the patch to util-linux-2.12 from Jari Ruusu's loop-AES package". Does that mean that I don't have to patch anything?

Also, after the make command I cannot find any loop.o or loop.ko file. My kernel version is 2.6.5-7.95. Does it matter in which directory I execute "make" and "make tests"?

BTW, is someone aware of a distribution offering a swap + root encryption option at installation?

And how do I verify for sure which kernel has been loaded? (I'm asking this beause even after choosing my new compiled kernel at the grub boot menu, the last line before login says that the default kernel was loaded - if this is a bug, how do I fix it?)

Thanks,

Christian

P.S. Does a patched gnupg make sense even if my passphrase is composed of over 20 quite alleatory characters?

- Linux-crypto: cryptography in and on the Linux system Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/