Re: Trying to set up root encryption with loop-AES on SuSE 9.1

Christian wrote:
> my installed version of util-linux is 2.12-72. There is a file called
> loop-AES-v2.0f-util-linux-2.12.diff in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/. Can I
> use this one, or should I use a newer version? Where do I get it and how
> do I avoid messing up with YaST?

I haven't looked at SuSE 9.1 patches, but that patch will most likely work
ok. Latest version is in latest loop-AES package:
http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/

> There also is a README.loop-AES-v2.0f.SuSE file saying that "to enhance
> the feature of mount, umount, losetup, swapon and swapoff we have
> included the patch to util-linux-2.12 from Jari Ruusu's loop-AES
> package". Does that mean that I don't have to patch anything?

If losetup man page says it supports -K option, and that -K option
description mentions multi-key mode, then your util-linux is most likely
already patched with loop-AES' multi-key support, and you can use
it without patching.

> Also, after the make command I cannot find any loop.o or loop.ko file.

That is strange. Please post output of "ls -l" of loop-AES build directory.

> My kernel version is 2.6.5-7.95. Does it matter in which directory I
> execute "make" and "make tests"?

Like this:

    cd /usr/src
    tar xvjf loop-AES-v2.1b.tar.bz2
    cd loop-AES-v2.1b
    make
    make tests

> And how do I verify for sure which kernel has been loaded? (I'm asking
> this beause even after choosing my new compiled kernel at the grub boot
> menu, the last line before login says that the default kernel was loaded
> - if this is a bug, how do I fix it?)

Run command:

    uname -a

> P.S. Does a patched gnupg make sense even if my passphrase is composed
> of over 20 quite alleatory characters?

Yes, patched gpg is better.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-