Re: Help trying to setup an encypted filesystem.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:22:06PM +0300, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> > loop-aes is nice and it does support the usual algorithms via an
> > external patch.
>
> Contrary to lies that some people keep spreading, loop-AES has never
> required kernel patches.

Well, i was talking about the loop-aes ciphers-patch
(http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/ciphers/ to be clear). But maybe that
has changed, so that patch has been included in loop-aes? Or am i
missing something?

> > The big drawback is that mount, umount, losetup, swapon
> > and swapoff has to be patched and recompiled and loop-aes and cryptoloop
> > doesnt work with eachother.
>
> Loop-AES can use cryptoloop's broken and backdoored on-disk formats just
> fine when told to do that using mount options. Cryptoloop just cannot be
> used in more secure mode that loop-AES and ciphers packages provide.

Yes, so why use loop-aes with unpatched mount, umount, etc if there are
no benefits? Hence, to use loop-aes you'll need to patch and recompile
or you could just stick with cryptoloop.
I could have been more clear when it came to the compatibility issue,
but what i meant was that a loop-aes encrypted loop cant be decrypted
with cryptoloop or vice versa.

> Optimized dictionary attack:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107419912024246&w=2
>
> Watermark attack:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107719798631935&w=2

Indeed serious but, and i really love a good conspiracy, isnt calling it
backdoors a bit harse?

/Thomas
--
== thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
== Encrypted e-mails preferred | GPG KeyID: 114AA85C