Re: cryptoloop on 2.4.22 won?t work

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 05:56:58PM +1000, Alexander Zangerl wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 03:06:48 +0200, "buzzy" writes:
> >I thought that the util-linux packet from debian unstable is
> >already prepatched

It was prepatched for the old Crypto API. 2.6 kernels and the
feature backport to 2.4.22 have a different API because crypto
is now part of the linux kernel source. I've tried to get
a message to Adrian Bunk but have no reply so farm so...

> not yet, unfortunately. see
> <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=206396>

I'm glad to see someone has filed a report.

> there's one ugly side effect of that patch, though: losetup now /always/
> asks for a keysize and password, even if you want to mount a bog-standard
> iso9660 image with no encryption whatsoever.

There is another side-effect. The password taken by
losetup is no longer the plaintext, but is assumed to
be already hashed. If you wish to use an old loopback
file system, you will have to feed your plaintext
password through "hashalot" and pipe it into losetup.

You might wish to refer to the archives as I posted the
detail of an install and test of this from scratch on
a virgin 2.4.21 patched up to 2.4.22rc2. Procedure is
the same, you just omit the pre22 patch and start from
2.4.22 source base.

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org
-