Re: DES_EDE3

hello,

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 13:56, Pierre PEIFFER wrote:
>     I just have a short question: is DES3 crypto still working/supported
> ?

it should... as it is needed for the IPSEC and NFSv4 projects which make
use of the crypto api...

>     aes and twofish (for example) works fine....
>
>     I use the latest patch with 2.4.16 kernel (patch-int-2.4.16.2),
> latest patch of util-linux...
>
>     But with des3, I have the (classical) error:
>
> [root@]# losetup -e des-ede3 /dev/loop0 initrd.img
plase try 'des_ede3'; if you look at /proc/crypto/ciphers/ that's the
name it registers itself with... thanks for noting this, the loadable
module name, should have used an underscore as well... will be fixed for
the next release;

> Pierre
>
> Note: for loop patch (hvr and jari), what are the differences between
> the both patch ? And which one do you recommand to use ?
well, jari's patch adresses various issues, and is supposed to have
undergone quite some testing by being a vital part of the loop-AES
package; (see the last patch-int announcement)

my patch is quite minimalistic, I've rewritten it to only address the IV
calculation and some cosmetic stuff; it still needs testing against
non-simple setups

both patches should lead to the same on disc format in combination with
the cryptoloop... if they don't then it's a bug...

btw, it should also be possible to use loop-AES and cryptoloop at the
same time; it's just a matter of adding 3 lines (2 #defines and 1
typedef to the loop.h header, after having been patched by loop-AES)
that way you should be able to convert your volumes from patch-int
encrypted volumes to loop-AES volumes and the other way round...
(as long as both use 512byte IV's ... if they don't you'll have to use
one or two additional steps... but you should definitely get rid of
non-512 byte IV's... as it becomes harder with every release to keep
support for it..)

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@xxxxxxxxxx       /    Finger hvr@xxxxxxx for GnuPG Public Key