crypto basics

After following the brief discussion this morning about Blowfish, Twofish, Serpent, and AES, I've realized that I don't know nearly what I had hoped I did when it came to encryption. Does anyone have a link (or a document they can post on the web) that points to the basics of encryption? And I don't mean like 'Encryption is when you take what you wrote (plaintext) and enrypt it so that nobody can read it (ciphertext).' I'm looking for something a little more advanced -- that would explain block sizes, CBC, EBC, and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

And (what I'd really like to see) does anyone know of a complete rundown of all the ciphers that are available in the kernel? The help was just enough to whet my appetite -- and I'm really curious to see why AES is ... not well liked.

-