Re: a question about ciphers

Hi,

Quoting Newsmail (newsmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> hello everybody, I'm quite new in encryption, but I want to encrypt some
> complete partitions on my pc. actually I see many cipher types I can use,
> but I dont know which one to choose. I heard that 3des is very slow, cpu
> intensive cipher. well this is the more I know about them. somebody could
> help me which cipher to choose, which is the faster, what about their
> caracterisiques, or at least give me an url where I can find description of
> them?
Most of the cyphers supported are AES candidates, the other cyphers are
proven/wellknown/'older' ones. The AES candidates are pretty well analysed,
and this analysis is documented (i don't recall where the documents reside,
i only have a paper version here). Rijndael 'won' the AES run; this means it
was decided to be a good cypher for general use. The analysis document is
more specific on the usage of the various cyphers for various tasks.
You should make your decision based on performance, strength and
proven-ness; as long as you keep the rule 'encrypt it strong enough to make
the cost of decrypting more expensive than the data itself' in mind you'll
be fine :) (ofcourse keeping future technological advances in the back of
your head).

Greets,
	Robert

--