a question about ciphers

hello everybody, I'm quite new in encryption, but I want to encrypt some complete partitions on my pc. actually I see many cipher types I can use, but I dont know which one to choose. I heard that 3des is very slow, cpu intensive cipher. well this is the more I know about them. somebody could help me which cipher to choose, which is the faster, what about their caracterisiques, or at least give me an url where I can find description of them?
thx
Greg

-