Re: I-patch problem statement (update)

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 09:10:43AM +0200, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

> just to let you know, what the crypto patch code status is in at the
> moment;
>
> > 	* BUG: block size problem
> fixed, if you enable the 512-byte IV option
> (btw, I've seen the latest recent kernels added the blocksize set/get

Have you been following the discussion between Linus, HPA and
others on changes to the way virtual/physical blocks are being
handled? It might have a positive impact on us by means of
making the whole low level VFS services cleaner and faster.

> ioctl's... just as a sidenote...)
> > 	* kernel bloat. This is probably a non-issue. Linus
> btw, I don't see any major kernel bloat;

Neither did I, I was just passing along complaints aired by
others.

> > I'm pretty sure I remember a kernel discussion on some of
> > the issues and there is a desire to have one single crypto
> > API that is available for all purposes, loopback fs or other.
>
> we really need to unify all those crypto related kernel space projects;
> otherwise linus surely won't let them go into the kernel (at least I
> expect this, judging from the past ;-)

Note that the security people are doing something similar and
unifying behind the LIDS patches. Even SELINUX has been
rewritten to work as a module that uses them, as are some of
the other projects.

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland