Re: I-patch problem statement (update)

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:10:49AM +0200, Robert Varga wrote:
> > How many ciphers does one need? One good one will fill most peoples' needs.
>
> Let's not get into this ;-( This is a "How many OSes does one need" type of question ;-)
> It has been discussed, flamed, grilled, baked and cooked innumerable times.

Indeed. I will be the one to decide which cipher is used on which project and
have little interest in having the choice made for me.

> So instead of writing cipher-specific code all over the place, wouldn't it be
> better to have some kind of crypto-VFS ?

I think there will be something more general than that
required. We have user space encryption proliferating
across the board and there is no earthly way any of us
can certify all of them as being properly implimented.

I would much rather have one or more very well beaten
on modules that supply encryption services to all the
security services. Note that we need encryption in
IPv6 too; and for FreeSWAN, and for MIT's SFS, and
for ssh, and for PAM, and for who knows what else...

It's not *just* a file system issue.

I'd propose that we want a kernel module somewhat
like ALSO or the like into which one just plugs in
whatever algorithm one wants in their kernel and
which makes those available as a service to whatever
tools need them.

This also allows for hardware level encryption to be
handled transparently by hardware and the service
made available to all possible users of that service.

We've become way too focused on just the issue of
crypto file systems. That is indeed an important
issue, but it is only one corner of the crypto services
domain.

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland