I-patch problem statement

There are two known definite bugs, a backward compatibility
issue and at least two general complainst on the table.

	* BUG: block size problem
	  Has a current work around, Herbert has stated
	  he will soon have it fixed in code.

	* BUG: SMP issue
	  None of us has had to deal with it, but Herbert
	  has stated he will have it fixed in code soon.

	* 2.2 not readable on 2.4
	  Question: is this really unknown or are the systems
	  in question ones that were set up with the old
	  absolute block number problem? If not, perhaps
	  it is an issue for study using a small test case.
	  Is there anyone here who is actually a
	  mathematician/cryptographer?

	* performance loss due to non-reentrancy
	  Presumably if Herbert fixes the SMP issue, he
	  sorts this as well. I might note that I play
	  my Mozart CD on this laptop while editing on a
	  loopback AES partition and have no problems.

	* kernel bloat. This is probably a non-issue. Linus
	  will at some point go for hooks into the kernel
	  for encryption support. The API for that will perhaps
	  be influenced by kerneli but that will not be the
	  final word. I do suspect it will have great influence
	  because everyone is using the new util-linux which
	  supports the new api for loopback encryption types.
	  In that sense we are already main stream.
	  (The util-linux support is mainstream debian now)

I'm pretty sure I remember a kernel discussion on some of
the issues and there is a desire to have one single crypto
API that is available for all purposes, loopback fs or other.

While loopAES is very nice for now, and perhaps some of the code
will find its' way into the kernel, I don't see that as the
likely way things will go for 2.6.x. I'm very sure that a
loopback module will not contain its' own crypto. It will share
it with other tools and applications. We are not going to see
5 loadable modules providing different services each with its'
own implimentation of AES.

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland