Re: I-patch problem statement

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Dale Amon wrote:
> 	* 2.2 not readable on 2.4
> 	  Question: is this really unknown or are the systems
> 	  in question ones that were set up with the old
> 	  absolute block number problem? If not, perhaps
> 	  it is an issue for study using a small test case.

I'm the one who reported this problem. I can state with one hundred
percent certainty that they were set up with relative block number system.
I dont think anyone in their right mind would setup any crypto fs with
absolute block numbers anymore.

It may be related to the fact that losetup no longer seems to be able to
setup the same keylength under 2.4 (where it is variable) as it did under
2.2 (where it is fixed).

Anyone can easily test this case.

> 	* performance loss due to non-reentrancy
> 	  Presumably if Herbert fixes the SMP issue, he
> 	  sorts this as well. I might note that I play
> 	  my Mozart CD on this laptop while editing on a
> 	  loopback AES partition and have no problems.

Try copying from one loopback'd fs to another loopback'd fs. It magnifies
the problem VERY obvious.

-Dan