Re: Discussion of differences between loop-AES and cryptoapi in respectto the loop.c modifications...

Jari Ruusu wrote:
> Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> > finally, code to initialize the aes module have been hardcoded into loop.c
> > this is IMHO a rather static approach, since unflexible, if it wasn't for
> > this one, the modified loop.c could be easily used as drop in replacament
> > for the cryptoapi, but nevertheless it might be possible to use cryptoapi
> > with minor adaptions with the loop-AES modified loop-AES' loop.o. I'll
> > investigate this one a little bit more, this might finally allow for
> > backporting the cryptoapi to 2.2 by making use of jari's 2.2
> > modifications.
>
> Your code uses loop_register_transfer(). I see no obvious reasons why
> loop-AES' loop.o would prevent your code from registering cipher id 18
> (LO_CRYPT_CRYPTOAPI). Only id 16 (LO_CRYPT_AES) is preregistered.

I forgot one thing: if a cipher module is separated from loop driver code,
cipher module locking is completely broken. This is a bug in Linus released
loop.c code. In loop-AES, the AES cipher code and 'main' loop code are
linked together, so this bug does not affect the AES cipher in loop-AES.
Things go wrong only if external non-AES cipher module is registered.

This bug was reported to linux-kernel mailing list by Ingo Rohloff on 21
June 2001. Subject was "Loop encryption module locking bug (linux-2.4.5)."
Just seach LKML archives to read about it.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>