RE: Using Crypto under LM8+2.4.6

Mr. Warner, et al.:

	Well, I believe so. However, later tonight I will try to post a copy of my
".config" so you can review it. Which FAQ are you speaking of? If you mean
the one that comes with the documentation for the patch, I have read it
"FAQ.txt" or whatever it is called.

	From a "newbies" point of view, why can we implement any of the following
ideas?

Does the crypto package work in connection with the encryption of passwords
stored in /etc/passwd at all? If not, is such functionality planned?

In order to address the ability to simplify the installation of
cryptographic technology into the Linux kernel, and exact a more integrated
cooperative functionality between cryptographic technology and the areas
within the Linux kernel where it could be leveraged, I am curious why the
skeleton of the cryptographic technology is not integrated into the main
("non International kernel"), and thus only forcing the addition of
encryption modules for encryption be usable.

	Let me explain further.....

	We have to patch "mount" and "unmount", why? Why not place the code for
doing the cryptographic work permanently into those programs, and supply
(with the "non International Kernel") dummy encryption modules which simply
return the text they were passed, thus doing no work. Then in order to add
cryptographic ability to a particular release, all that would be necessary
was to replace the dummy modules with real working ones?

	Just an idea.....

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Saturday, July 07, 2001 5:21 PM