RE: Using Crypto under LM8+2.4.6

On 07 Jul 2001 17:35:00 -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Mr. Warner, et al.:
>
> 	Well, I believe so. However, later tonight I will try to post a copy of my
> ".config" so you can review it. Which FAQ are you speaking of? If you mean
> the one that comes with the documentation for the patch, I have read it
> "FAQ.txt" or whatever it is called.

Stuart, I probably won't be reviewing it. You have to take the time to
read though the new menu options when you are compiling a new kernel. I
like using the menuconfig interface (make menuconfig in /usr/src/linux).
BTW I said "HOWTO" (by Marc Mutz):
http://encryptionhowto.sourceforge.net/

Just remember it was written from the perspective of the 2.2 kernel.

> 	From a "newbies" point of view, why can we implement any of the following
> ideas?
>
> Does the crypto package work in connection with the encryption of passwords
> stored in /etc/passwd at all? If not, is such functionality planned?

The whole point of encryption is that it hopefully keeps data safe when
people _bypass_ the operating system authenication controls (e.g. by
having physical access to your computer). If you care enough about your
data to encrypt it you don't want the operating system storing a copy of
your password in whatever form.

<snip>

Regards,
Adam