Re: block ciphers & plaintext attacks

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:21:04PM +0000, Marc Mutz wrote:

> Therefore, the linux loop_gen driver uses CBC encryption (Cipher Block
> Chaining):

Delurking for a moment:

This is something I've been meaning to ask about for
a while.  Obviously ECB is more random-access friendly.
How long are the CBC chains used by loopback encryption?
Does one chain span the whole device?  Are they limited
in length to make random access and updates easier?
Or is there a third approach which I'm not clued into?

thanks,
miket